Me, the Critic

Take us on a journey of 2 pieces of your writing that you are most proud of from the semester. Each will be its own paragraph whereby you explain what your piece is about, your process of writing it, and any challenges you faced

Agape Love

What is the TITLE and what is the significance of the TITLE?                                        

• There are many different types of love, some known to be Eros, Philia, Ludus, Pragma, and Philautia. Agape Love is considered to be the highest and most comprehensive form of love and is expressed to all without any restrains or partiality. Agape love is unconditional and abounded, this is the love which is portrayed in the death of Christ, which is why I chose to title this post as ‘Agape Love.’

In 17 words summarize what your piece is about in terms of theme and what happens.

• The love of  Christ, shown through His agonizing death on the cross, redeems mankind from their sins. 

What was your purpose and audience for your piece? 

• Christianity is a well known religion in our community, yet the vast majority of the population do not know or understand the true meaning of being a Christian. It is the love of God that pulls so many people into this comforting faith in Christ. Through this piece I wanted to address the limitless love that Christ showed on the cross and the unbearable pain he endured for us.
  • As for audience, this piece is written for people of all ages, as it is important to understand and respect all religions. But more importantly, I dedicate this poem to those who are searching for answers and in seek of a stronghold. By commemorating the death of Christ, I hope to shed light into the darkened hearts of the broken.       

“The ground pooled with blood;

staining the marble tiles.

The price He paid for us – His precious blood.

And it was all for me” 

What/who influenced the creation of you written product? 

• My main influence was a passage from the Bible, John 3:16. This verse talks about the unconditional love that was shown by God when He sent His only begotten Son into this world. I also emulated from the book of Luke and John, particularly from the chapters of the crucifixion of Christ. 
  • Another source of influence was my Pastor from church. The Sunday I wrote this poem, the Pastor had conducted a sermon that talked about His death and I was in awe of Christ’s unconditional love. 

Discuss the craft/style decisions you made, provide examples. 

• I chose to write this piece in a poem format as it worked well with communicating the seriousness and emotional aspect of this topic. I didn’t want to make it extremely long either, for I feared that I would loose the readers attention and interest. 
  • I purposely choose to use broken sentences and fragments that destroyed perfect flow because I wanted the readers to experience and understand the harsh nature of His death through this poem. An example of this stylistic chose would be the following stanza: 

“His handsome, kind face no longer recognizable.

Disheveled, destroyed

His eyes swollen shut,

head drooping,

losing strength.

And it was all for me”

• I ended each stanza with, “And it was all for me,” to circulate it back to mankind and to remind readers that He suffered for us.   

Discuss your process for experimentation, revision, and feedback .

• As it was my first attempt at writing a poem for such a heavy topic, I did go back multiple times and revise certain aspects of it. However, this is a topic that I love, so my first edition was pure words from the heart.
  • I gathered feedback from my parents and church friends, most of them told me to stick with the formatting that I had, but perhaps add punctuations where necessary to keep the readers from getting confused.  
  • After posting, Abhay and Zubia where so kind in giving further feedback which I will revisit when I’m editing all my posts.

Voices of the Persecuted

• There are over millions of people who are being persecuted all around the world for believing and following their religion. Their voices are dead and unheard in our society. The title of my article is, “The Voices of the Persecuted,”  as I hope to bring recognition and awareness to the stories of these individuals and bring out their voice through my article.  

let them know that they are not forgotten, their stories have been heard.

• Religious persecution in forms of brutal violence increase in India as other dominant religious groups proclaim supremacy. 

What was your purpose and audience for you piece?

• As briefly mentioned above, religious persecution is increasing, threatening the lives of parents, children, churches, and pastors. Individuals, like myself, have become very oblivious to these stories, as we live cocooned in the freedom and peace of our country. Through this article I want our society to become aware of global issues regarding religious persecution and encourage individuals to do their part in helping the threatened lives. 

What/who influenced the creation of your written product?

• My main source of influence was a YouTube video I watched of a young girl being burned alive because she had converted into Christianity (my apologies – I could not find the video for the purposes of adding a link). After watching this video, I was horrified at the pain this young girl endured and I was ashamed at my lack knowledge regarding these issues. When the assignment of writing a featured article was introduced in class, I knew right away what I was going to write about.

Discuss the craft/style decisions you made provide examples. 

• As it was a featured article, I did incorporate the necessary structure of this form of writing. However, I also wanted to add a consistent flow by writing it in logical order. After the short story, I began with introducing the topic of religious persecution and India’s history with persecution. Following this, I proceeded with including significant events in regards to persecution in India. Later, I talked about the governments response to persecution and concluded it with what we can do to help.
  • I wanted to connect with the reader through the use of pathos argumentation; therefore, I began with the story of the young girl who was burned alive. 

“They gathered around her and watched as flesh turned to bones and as bones became ashes. Her body was no more, the ashes swept into the light wind. But her precious soul had gone to be with Jesus.”

Discuss your process for experimentation, revision, and feedback

• I was on a slight time crunch to put together this article; consequently, I need to go back and edit some more. I hope to add more to the article, exceptional regarding the present occurrences of persecution in India. I also need to do a GUMPS edit.

image 1: https://www.etsy.com/listing/490701722/40×30-vintage-signed-original-oil

image 2:https://www.pinterest.com/pin/507006870527220683/?lp=true