1 This is what happened during the time of Ahasuerus, the Ahasuerus who ruled over 127 provinces stretching from India to Cush:

3 and in the third year of his reign he gave a banquet for all his nobles and officials. The military leaders of Persia and Media, the princes, and the nobles of the provinces were present.

4 For a full 180 days he displayed the vast wealth of his kingdom and the splendor and glory of his majesty.

6 The garden had hangings of white and blue linen, fastened with cords of white linen and purple material to silver rings on marble pillars. There were couches of gold and silver on a mosaic pavement of porphyry, marble, mother-of-pearl and other costly stones.

7 Wine was served in goblets of gold, each one different from the other, and the royal wine was abundant, in keeping with the king’s liberality.

9 Queen Vashti also gave a banquet for the women in the royal palace of King Ahasuerus.

10 On the seventh day, when King Ahasuerus was in high spirits from wine, he commanded the seven eunuchs who served him

11 to bring before him Queen Vashti, wearing her royal crown, in order to display her beauty to the people and nobles, for she was lovely to look at.

12 But when the attendants delivered the king’s command, Queen Vashti refused to come. Then the king became furious and burned with anger.

15 “According to law, what must be done to Queen Vashti?” he asked. “She has not obeyed the command of King Ahasuerus that the eunuchs have taken to her.”

16 Then Memukan replied in the presence of the king and the nobles, “Queen Vashti has done wrong, not only against the king but also against all the nobles and the peoples of all the provinces of King Ahasuerus.

19 “Therefore, if it pleases the king, let him issue a royal decree and let it be written in the laws of Persia and Media, which cannot be repealed, that Vashti is never again to enter the presence of King Ahasuerus. Also let the king give her royal position to someone else who is better than she.

~Book of Esther Chapter 1 (New International Version)

The sun shone through the creeks of the painted glass, casting rays of beautiful colors into the adorned room. Tapestry from Egypt and Persia hang along the length of the wall, and a magnificent painting of the ancient hills spelled my room.

My room – or what was my room, soon to be handed over to another.

My final day at the palace of King Ahasuerus was welcomed with the early songs of the blue jays, but it gave me no strength as the joyous melody of my heart and come to a silence.

“Good morning my majesty,” my maidservant came rushing in as she always did, her arms carrying my garments, ready to prepare me for the day.

“No Hegai, I wish to do so myself,” I gently took my clothes from her grasp and laid them on the linen sheets of my bed. “It is not necessary, neither call me your majesty, I am no longer queen,” I swallowed the slight tremble in my voice and gently smiled at Hegia.

“But your majesty – ”

“No,” I firmly replied. Instantly regretting my rebuke, I turned to the sweet little Hegai and offered her a hug.

“I’m sorry my darling, but you must not call me your queen, I am to leave today.”

“Where will you go,” she whispered.

I walked over to my window and looked out to the place where I had called my home. Rows of daffodils and my favourite nigellas splashed colors of joy along the lining of the great palace walls. The cobblestone pathway weaved its way around the bushes and through the garden – my garden. Along the east side of my view, guards stood alert as they watched the flurry of morning activities that awoke the sleeping palace. The sight of my departing carriage pulled me back from the entrance that hid my pain and once again I came to realize that my days here were over.

“I’m not sure where I’ll go, Hegia, let the gods decide,” I replied.

As I turned to face Hegia I realized that of all people, I’m going to miss my maidservant the most. Just being 15 years of age, Hegia was a caring young girl that carried an aroma of love, making even the hard hearted fall at the mercy of her sweet personality.

“Hegia, let me tell you a secret,” I said as I beckoned her over to my bed. “What defines a women is never her beauty or power. What makes a woman is her willingness to do what is right and stay true to herself, never forget that.”

“Is that why you refused to obey the king’s command?”

“I had no desire to display myself in the presence of drunk men and if it costs me my crown, so be it.”

“I’ll miss you,” Hegia softly whispered. “I’m scared that the next queen will be nothing like you.”

“Don’t worry darling, your ray of love never fails to flatter the unkind, so long as you don’t extinguish the light,” I smiled and offered her one more hug before she left to fulfill her morning duties.

_________________

The morning crept by and the hour of my departure arrived. Standing at the door of my carriage, I gazed at the magnificent palace, sketching every little detail into my memories.

“Vashti!”

I fell into a surprised courtesy as the king came rushing towards me.

“King Ahasuerus,” I replied and lowered my gaze.

“Please show no formality, not when it’s between us,” King Ahasuerus whispered and tilted my face to meet his eyes.

“I wanted to apologies for my actions, for my quick temper, and my irrational thinking. I was drunk and intoxicated with wine that poisoned my mind. Please, my dear, forgive me,” he begged. “I wish to restore your rightful position and once again call you my beautiful queen.”

“The royal decree written in the laws of Persia and Media cannot be repealed, not even by the king himself,” I firmly replied. “With all respect my king, I no longer wish to have my royal position. I loved you dearly, but once a bond so strong is broken, it cannot be mended.”

“Vashti, pleas-,”

“Long live King Ahasuerus and may he live forever, goodbye my king,” I said and stepped into the carriage.

Had I made the right decision? My own words echoed in my heart: What defines a women is never her beauty or power. What makes a woman is her willingness to do what is right and stay true to herself. I peeked through the curtains of the carriage and gasped in awe of the vast expansion of the vibrant Sahara Desert. My future was as golden and numerous as the sand on which I stand.

Authors note: This short story was written on the basis of one of my favourite bible stories. This piece begins with an excerpt from the bible regarding the events which occurred during the time of King Ahasuerus. The bible never again talks about Queen Vashti and I have always been fascinated with what became of her. In this short story I developed Queen Vashti to be a kind and pure hearted woman that stood by her standards; however, no one really knows how she was like. For those who are curious of the second queen: Queen Esther proceeded the throne soon after and was both beautiful and even more down to earth than Queen Vashti.   

featured image: http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/iran/images/38991947/title/azarmidokht-ancient-famose-persian-lady-photo